NOTICE CALLED FOR NOMINATIONS
THIS NOTICE IS A CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR VPA MEMBERS TO SERVE ON THE RFMCF BOARD OF TRUSTEES
The RFMCF Board comprises of Trustees who are fit and proper and possess the appropriate skills and character to perform the duties of a Trustee. The RFMCF Board of Trustees is calling for nominations to fill three (3) Trustee vacancies to be elected to the Board. The SANDF General Regulations stipulate that three (3) retired principal members of the Regular Force must serve as Trustees, of which two (2) shall be Officers and one (1) a Warrant Officer/NCO.
SKILLS REQUIRED AND QUALIFYING CRITERIA
Nominations of VPA Members with experience and skills in healthcare administration management, finance and investment and understanding of the related statutory prescripts of the RFMCF are preferable. Nominees should also have experience in exercising fiduciary responsibility. Nominated persons should be versatile and adaptable to cope with the administrative arrangements relating to the Board. Nominees must have internet access to attend meetings via Microsoft Teams (video conferencing) and attend to taskings emanating from Board meetings via email. Nominees should bring an innovative and constructive approach to the Board and must be prepared to give of their personal time.
DUTIES OF A TRUSTEE
Trustees must be familiar with the Defence Act (No 42 of 2002), the SANDF General Regulations and the RFMCF Member Guide. The Board has the task of ensuring that the mandate, as stipulated in Regulation 20 of Part IV: RFMCF of Chapter XV: Medical Matters, is managed accordingly. The duties of the Trustees include:
- Ensuring the proper and sound management of the RFMCF,
- The avoidance of conflicts of interest and declaration of any interest that a Trustee may have in any matter serving before the Board,
- The application of sound business principles and maintaining the financial soundness of the RFMCF,
- Taking all reasonable steps to ensure that the interests of beneficiaries are promoted,
- And the provisions of Part IV: RFMCF of Chapter XV: Medical Matters and all other relevant legislation are complied with at all times and applied with impartiality in respect of all beneficiaries,
- Maintaining the confidentiality of medical records concerning any beneficiary’s state of health and personal information as per the Protection of Personal Information Act (Act 4 of 2013).
Trustees are expected to utilise their best endeavours to ensure the promotion of the interests of the RFMCF.
NOMINATION VERIFICATION AND ELECTION
In order for nominations to qualify, the nomination must satisfy the following conditions:
- Nominees may not nominate themselves for election as Trustees;
- The nomination must be lodged on the prescribed nomination form (refer to the section below addressing the submission of a nominee);
- The nomination form, duly completed and signed, must be accompanied by a Curriculum Vitae of the nominee, a summary of the CV (not exceeding 200 words);
- Both the proposer and the nominee must be a principal member of the RFMCF;
- The nomination form must be completed and signed by both the proposer and the nominee in the relevant spaces provided;
- The nominee must signify their willingness to accept the nomination by signing the Acceptance of Nomination on the nomination form;
- The nominee must comply with the qualifying criteria;
- The nomination form must be submitted by the stipulated deadline;
- Nominations received after the deadline date and time will be disqualified.
The RFMCF Board of Trustees will consider the submitted nominations and elect two (2) Officers and one (1) Warrant Officer/NCO to serve on the Board. The Board’s decision is final, and the elected Trustees will be notified accordingly. Communication to the VPA members regarding this matter will be published in an RFMCF Bulletin.
SUBMITTING A NOMINATION
Should you wish to nominate a member for election by the Board, the nominee and nomination must take into account the criteria in this notice. The Nomination Form can be downloaded below. The nomination form must be completed and signed by the proposer and the Acceptance of Nomination must be completed and signed by the nominee.
Nominations must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by not later than 16h30 on Thursday, 29 June 2023.